Monday, June 2, 2008

Summer Goals

Now that it's June, I'm starting my new goals.  So far so good!  :)

I remember on the mission watching people run along the Charles River and thinking it looked so therapeutic.  I wanted to love to run.  I don't love to run, but I wanted to as I watched them.  Some people just flow with the earth, so smooth.    Ah.  It looked nice.  Anyway, I know it'll be a lot of work, but I want to get to that point--good form and a love of the practice.

(Let's face it--this is more realistic)

SO...my goal is to learn to love running, and I made a few others, including no soda and no fast food.  Then I got to thinking...and I decided I could have salads at fast food restaurants and I can have Baja Fresh because I don't consider that unhealthy.  :)  I decided to give up desserts.  All except ice cream. THEN I remembered how much I like making apple pies and so I decided I couldn't have desserts, except ice cream and pie.  The whole dessert thing might be my downfall.  I don't know if I'd feel that guilty quitting on that one, though.

YUM!

I've gotten all sorts of good ideas from different places, like the Real Simple magazine, MSN, and the online fitness magazine that comes to my hotmail account.  One idea I liked was to put reasons on my alarm clock of WHY I'm exercising or eating better.  Stickies that say, "Loving to run" or "Size __ (fill in the blank)" or "Secret Weapon".  (I have better ones, but they're a little too personal for my blog.  Sorry! - It's still just Kerri and D'On that read this anyhow.)  I've even thought of cutting out pictures of cute clothes/"stuff" from the Victoria's Secret's catalogue.  You know, looking at those skinny little models makes me want to work my butt off to look like them (minus the airbrushing that I'm sure is done on their pictures).  


Another idea is one woman would reward herself with a $5 bouquet of flowers if she exercised 3 days a week (which was her goal).  I like that.  And since I'm moving into a cave, flowers will be necessary.

Keeping a food/exercise journal is also one idea that is consistent with most fitness sources.  I plan to do that...eventually.

I also bought one of those cheap pedometers with the goal of walking 1 million steps in 100 days (10,000 steps a day).  It's totally doable.  (Anyone wanna compete??)

If anyone has any other ideas or tips, I'm open for them (ahem...AMBER!). 

Here's to a healthier summer!  YAHOO!

2 comments:

D'On Marx said...

I have a cousin who's been a exercising machine lately. She's really close to her goal weight. After two kids, she's looking really good. Go to her link from my page and read what she does everyday to lose the weight. Her name is Ashley Marx and, I think, she posted it in the last couple of months. Your mouth might drop open when you first read it. Good luck!!

Amber and David said...

Ok, first, I had tons o'fun at lunch last week! Soo good to see you FINALLY!=) Second, I'm still offended that you say only Kerri and D'On read your blog, because obviously you think I read it too if you're going to "ahem...AMBER!" me! =) Anyway, all of those are wonderful ideas to get started on your goal. I would definitely stick to the food/exercise journal at least for the first couple weeks. That way you'll get a better idea of where extra calories are coming from and when you're susceptible to eat more or unhealthy foods. It helps to see where you need to make changes. (I can help you if you want to me too) Keeping track of your exercise is great too because it's a little pat on the back when you look back at your week and see how well you did, or a reminder to do better the next day. Weighing yourself on a regular basis (once a week) is also a good way to keep on track. Also (I know I'm writing a book here!) a running/exercise tip, when I first started running, I had to convince myself to do it, because, like you, I'm was not born loving to run! I always had to tell myself "ok, yeah it's hard to get out there and do it today, yes, I'm tired, but I am going to feel sooo good after this!" Like we were talking about you get that wonderful runner's high and you feel GREAT afterwards! Sorry for the novel! I'm here if you need me!=)