Saturday, December 15, 2012

My life is a mess (pictures)

(Warning: I used manual mode on the camera because I just wasn't feeling it.  So, sorry these pics are kinda terrible.)

This is what I saw after Jack picked me up early from work Thursday, after calling to say our house was flooding.  Each of these towels squished out water.








Our insurance company said to take pictures of the damage.  (Our floors aren't shiny.  That's water.  FYI)

So, while moving things off the soaked floor and taking pictures, I looked up and saw this.  (We thought the pipe that burst was under the house, but this brought up a new theory.)

Latex paint peels off pretty easy if there's a bunch of water behind it.

Oh boy.

I went back to work and Friday our insurance adjuster and a contractor came out to look at the damage.  Jack called me at work to tell me all the things they listed off that would need to be replaced... like basically the front half of the house.  Awesome.

Here's the house tour, in its current state:


Entryway - 



Living room-

Half of the flooring has been taken out (where the white sub-floor is showing).  We have a fan and dehumidifier in here.


Kitchen - 

Our tiny, unfinished kitchen... The back blue wall has to be removed, we're told, so all the cabinets will come out, along with the fridge and oven.  Not sure what we'll do for food after that...  I guess we'll find out Monday!  :)  I am thinking since the wall has to come out, with any luck the floor does too.  haha


Hallway-

No floors, no baseboards, and the door molding has been removed around the first two doors.  I thought the ceiling in here needed to be removed, along with the wall on the right, but I'm not sure...


Guest bathroom (first door on the left) -


Yep, the stripes I worked so hard to paint in here have had their bottom half cut off.  So sad to me!  The toilet and sink are gone (notice the spot behind the sink I couldn't reach to paint? haha)  Floors gone, baseboard, etc.  I thought the roof was going in here too, but I think I'm wrong on that one.

Guest Bedroom (first room on the right) -




This room mostly makes me stare in wonder.  Wow.  wow.


"Massage Room" or second guest bedroom (last door on the right) -


Oi vey.
We built those shelves ourselves and are very proud of them.  Obviously everything from the front bedroom and hall closet ended up in here.  We have a lot of work to do.



Master Bedroom -

The rug has to go.  We have a BEAUTIFUL duvet cover that never makes its way on the bed.  To be honest, I'm surprised our bed is even made.  This bedspread is NOT our normal bedspread, which is why it clashes horribly.  This is a classic example of a room not totally affected by the water damage fiasco.  Ugh.

For example - the door to our bathroom that is still the original awful dark brown...I've never gotten around to painting it.

This is the door to the crawl space that is in the master bedroom closet (usually under my dresser).  There's a fan down there, too, since it flooded about ankle deep.  It makes our room very drafty.

So, there you have it.  Our beautiful house.  haha.  Jack and I did work really hard on it, but there are always things that needed to be finished (like painting the doors, or installing and caulking baseboard).  I guess this just gives me an opportunity to pick that motivation back up, huh?

Ugh.

3 comments:

D'On Marx said...

Oh man! I feel pain for you. What a MESS! I'm so sorry you have to go through all this. It's rather depressing. How are you two holding up now?

Gawdun said...

oh man this stinks! But the new remodel will be so much swankier

Brenda H said...

That is quite sad! I know how much a person puts into making a house their own!