Press play and follow link
I had already learned of the attacks. My dorm roommate, Becca, had woken me up; we watched on the small tv in our RA's room as the second plane hit. We called our families to tell them we loved them, like so many other people. We talked about our dreams, so clear and true as we started college a week earlier, now changed into insignificant wishes; our minds focused on friends who would go off to war. Days later I would feel the solidarity of the American people as the President declared that war, the big grand feelings of one, the understanding that I was living history.
But that day--THIS day ten years ago--I only felt helpless and small. Walking back to my dorm room, I heard someone playing "Moonlight Sonata" alone in our lounge. I stood outside the window and just listened, letting the song play out every emotion I was feeling. Even now, I cry as I listen to it in the background, remembering every nuance of worry, fear, and sadness felt that day.
I can't believe it's been ten years. So much was changed; but so much stayed the same. The world kept turning; dreams came alive again and dreams have been fulfilled; life was rebuilt out of the rubble. But in the mind of every American alive on September 11, 2001, there will be that familiar memory of what was witnessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment