I went to the temple yesterday as a friend received her endowment for the first time. It was exactly what I needed.
Today was an especially challenging day in Primary. I only had two boys in class, but I had to be mean Sister Townsend and the Spirit went right out the window. It left me feeling so bad that I cried on the way home.
In an effort to regain some good feelings, I'd like to reflect on my thoughts from yesterday. It's nothing terribly profound, but I liked it. During the temple session, I thought about the scriptures in 2 Nephi regarding Adam and Eve.
2 Nephi 2:19-25:
19 And after Adam and Eve had partaken of the forbidden fruit they were driven out of the garden of Eden, to till the earth.
21 And the days of the children of men were prolonged, according to the will of God, that they might repent while in the flesh; wherefore, their state became a state of probation, and their time was lengthened, according to the commandments which the Lord God gave unto the children of men. For he gave commandment that all men must repent; for he showed unto all men that they were lost, because of the transgression of their parents.
22 And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end.
23 And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin.
25 Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.
We are taught that Adam and Eve couldn't understand happiness without also knowing sorrow, and likewise for us. I think I've always thought of these scriptures about the same way I think of vegetables. Sometimes they are challenging to eat, but good for us and they'll make us happy in the end. Isn't that what life feels like sometimes? But what stood out to me is that without a family they wouldn't understand joy. THIS is why God puts us in families. This life isn't just about testing us -- it's also about letting us understand the joys of family life.
Like I said, nothing very profound, but there are times the Spirit comes and testifies of truth. And at those times, nothing is much sweeter.
P.S. I thank God that I get to experience this joy with Jack! How's that for newlywed mush?!

2 comments:
Okay, so my first (and only) thought is: Danielle and Jack are trying to start a family??? LOL!
I figured people would think that... Oh well.
Post a Comment