Sunday, September 8, 2013

Mayo Clinic Diet



Yes, yes, I am putting myself on a diet.  But I don't really view it as a "diet" since those always seem faddish.  (Hello Paleo?! Atkins?!  etc.)  It really is about eating healthy and making good choices.

I was recently told I have hypothyroidism.  That, in combination with the weight, is the reason I can't get pregnant right now.  I'm not necessarily READY to start a family, but I'd like to be able to have the option.  So, change must occur.

This is the book and I would recommend it:




http://www.amazon.com/The-Mayo-Clinic-Diet-weight/dp/1561487775/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378694468&sr=8-1&keywords=mayo+clinic+diet


The first two weeks you focus on 5 good habits, 5 bad habits to change, and 5 additional habits.  After that, you just start eating to the food pyramid (and watch calorie intake and portion sizes) and continue exercise.

The 5 good habits:
  1. Eat a healthy breakfast
  2. Eat vegetables (4+ servings) and fruits (3+ servings)
  3. Eat whole grains
  4. Eat healthy fats
  5. Move for 30 min.
The 5 bad habits to lose:
  1. No TV while eating
  2. No sugar (except fruits)
  3. No snacks except fruits and veggies
  4. Moderate meat and low-fat dairy
  5. No restaurants (unless you follow the plan)
And the 5 additional good habits:
  1. Keep a food journal
  2. Keep an exercise journal
  3. Move more (60 min.)
  4. Eat "real" food
  5. Make daily goals


I tried it last year right before Thanksgiving and couldn't get back to the gym after the "big day" so I fell off.  I was VERY strict in following it last time, and I did see the weight come off.  Almost 10 pounds in 4 weeks.

I'm not AS strict this time.  I've only got 30 minutes to spend at the gym a day, so I try to fit in some other things at home.  (Cleaning counts!)  I'm not seeking out sugar, but I'm not avoiding it either.  (For instance, I will eat the applesauce that is "natural" but still has sugar.)  I've been more flexible with my veggie and fruit intake as well.  No carrots so far, and that is a good thing!  They KILL my stomach.

I am drinking A LOT more water, which helps quite a bit.  I haven't felt deprived at all.  Okay, only once when I really wanted a slice of zucchini bread. Yum.  

I wanted to share a recipe I love, which, coincidentally, is completely against this diet.  But I'll eat it anyway, with a large salad. :)

Crescent Chicken Bundles... SO EASY to make!

http://megduerksen.typepad.com/whatever/2009/12/cresent-chicken.html?cid=6a00d8341c469c53ef0120a72ddf6d970b#comment-6a00d8341c469c53ef0120a72ddf6d970b


2 comments:

D'On Marx said...

I'm excited for you! You got this!

Jenn said...

This looks great! thanks for sharing! I am so going to try this too!